Sunday, June 21, 2009

Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 gearbox/shaft drive fluid change

My last bit of maintenance for the weekend on the Guzzi Breva was changing the gear oil in the gearbox and shaft drive.

This is a simple procedure. I have been using Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil in my Guzzis for years and I love the stuff. Oddly it is pink in color, looking a lot like Pepto Bismol.

The Breva gearbox takes 500cc of the stuff. The drain bolt is located on the right side of the bike, near the foot brake lever. I fashion a ramp made of aluminum foil for the oil to run down into a drain pan, keeping the mess at a minimum. The fill bolt is an allen headed bolt on the side of the transmission case. Fill 'er up, 500cc please.

The CARC(shaft)drive drain plug is located on the underside of the shaft drive housing at the rear tire. Again I fashion a little ramp of aluminum foil to keep the oil from messing up the rim and such. The fill bolt is located on the back side of the shaft drive housing. DO NOT attempt to remove the mushroom shaped breather cap on top of the shaft drive housing to fill from there. There is a good likelihood it will shear and break if you do. A lesson learned a couple years ago.

The CARC takes 380cc of the pink stuff. I fashion a little funnel out of aluminum foil. As I am drizzling the gear oil into the filler hole I rotate the rear tire and it helps to suck the oil into the nooks and crannys inside the housing, making filling quicker and easier.

All in all a quick and easy job, prolly 45-60 minutes start to finish.




No comments: