Friday, July 4, 2008

Made it back home to Florida!!

Well, I finally made it back home to Deland, FL at about 4:00 p.m. ET today. Total trip mileage was 6,469 miles.

I left Papillion, NE fairly early Thursday morning (around 5:15). It was a LOOOONG day. 832 miles from Papillion to Tupelo, MS. I learned that my GPS is not to be trusted and nearly smashed it on the ground after it told me of a "shortcut" around Memphis on Hwy 81. I said to myself, sure, I'll try it! Well, about 25 miles later the dreaded "Dead End" sign showed up! I had to turn around and go back to where I started. POS!

Today was a little easier, just 670 miles from Tupelo to Deland. Not a lot of fun in Alabama and Georgia having to slow down and stop in every GD small town along the highways I traveled but once I hit I-75/I-10/I-95/I-4, the Breva just chugged along between 80-90 mph and I got home in no time.

Anyway, glad to be home. Very glad I went and saw some GREAT friends and some of my family. A special thanks to Mike "Stallion" Caniglia, my brother of the iron horse on this trip. Couldn't ask for a better guy to ride along with. Thanks Stal!!

Stal rode his 2006 black Guzzi Breva 1100 and I rode my grey 2006 Guzzi Breva 1100. Both bikes performed great! Mile after mile through 112 degree desert and mid 40's in the mountains. Really and truly we put these Guzzis through a torture test and they came out of it with flying colors. Bravo Carlo, you done good!!
468458
Now it's time to relax....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris...so glad you made it back safely. You two are warriors. Nice job. Happy Independence Day!

Mara

Anonymous said...

Chris, I couldn't ask for a better riding partner either! I wouldn't have gone with anyone else. Next year...Italy!! Start saving now bud!

Mike

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it home OK Kid. Thanks for coming out to Elkhorn and eating that crappy waffle with us. Brevas rule!

Anonymous said...

SL: Awesome Job! You guys did it! Glad to see you made it home...

Anonymous said...

NO ONE was happier to see you than your dear old mom. You and Mike are true warriors of the road and on this Italy thing next year- Do either of you have room for me in your luggage???? I compact nicely. God was good to you both and watched over you on your oftimes torturous journey . Accolades to you for keeping us posted all the way and especially for the wonderful Pics! Ecg