Sunday, December 12, 2010

Diagnosis on the Guzzi Lemans

I fired off a missive to my friend in Australia, Guzzi mechanic Pete Roper, asking him for some advice on the rear drive leakage issue on my 2002 Lemans.

Pete sent back some sage advice. Now all I need to do is follow it :0)

It appears that the bearing part #'s 30 and 31 in the pic below have likely failed. Part 31 is the inner race of the bearing. Part # 10 is the inner bevel box seal that has likely failed allowing the oil to escape.

So there is a fair amount of work needed to be done to repair this but winter is here and riding opportunities are slim anyway. Pretty much it be be a complete dis-assembly of the rear drive assembly. It will be good to get into the rear drive as I have not seen it apart before.

*****CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO ENLARGE*****

5 comments:

Andrew S said...

Looks like a good project. Worth a good overhall while you're in there I assume. Will watch progress with interest.

Bruce said...

Good luck, Chris. Just take your time and I am sure it will work out fine. Keep everyone posted on your progress!

Terry said...

Damned olive oil gear lube strikes again :)

SCPBGAG said...

If you need the use of a press or precision measurement, call me.

CPJ said...

I have a large hammer I can lend if needed.

After this, you can rebuild Andrew's Commando in minutes, and finally get him back on the road!