Saturday, February 26, 2011

Good Saturdee

Well a productive start to the weekend today. I was able to do some work on the Guzzi LeMans. recently it has been exhibiting an intermittent "miss" or sputter. I had been chalking it up to old fuel which may have had some water in it but the situation wasn't changing with a few tanks full of fresh fuel.

So I decided to check the valve clearance and spark plug gaps this a.m. I did find the valve clearances to be slightly out of spec but nothing major. The big "find" was when I was removing the left cylinder spark plug boot(cap). While removing the boot from the plug the boot came completely apart from the plug wire. Examining it and the wire saw a good bit of corrosion to the plug wire inside the insulation. Over time it looks as though some water had infiltrated and slowly the connection between boot and wire became compromised. I snipped off about a half inch of the wire to expose some clean wire, applied some dielectric grease and screwed the boot back into the wire.

When all was said and done and I fired the bike up I did not detect any trace of the previous sputtering, so let's hope all is well.

Additionally I was able to mow the lawn for the first time today. If you want to call it a lawn. More a patch of clover and various other weeds at this point. Anyway I mowed it, over the objections of several hornets which did not like the idea, and put down some weed and feed. I have a feeling another application or two of weed n feed will be in order.

I also was able to get into the ALFA Romeo Spider fuse box, removed each fuse and apply dielectric grease on the fuse ends. The fuses in the ALFA are the old exposed metal/ceramic type so there is a tendency for some corrosion to occur. Hopefully this will hold it at bay for a while. A quick spin in the ALFA was then in order, her first time roaming Florida roads since I have been back.

This a.m I also met one of my neighbors, a fella named Martin. He is a retired paramedic I think he said, having worked for the fire dept. Lucky fellow to be retired as I would place him in his 40's.

So I will leave you with a link to some pictures my friend Andrew took last weekend from a quick motorcycle ride he and I took. Him on his Ducati Monster, me on the Guzzi LeMans. Good pics and good fun.

PICS HERE...click me!

Adios til next time!

No comments: