Sunday, July 8, 2007

Florida winery



Saturday I rode with a group of friends to the Lakeridge Winery in Clermont, Florida. This is one of the most hilly parts of Florida. It's a pretty scenic part of Florida. We got a tour of the winery, which include a neat short video on the winemaking process as well as a tour of the grounds and a free tasting. The wine was good, if a bit on the sweet side, but that is okay. I like semi-sweet ones just fine :) Here are a couple pics from inside the winery. The rack of bottles there contains champagne and each bottle is hand turned several times a day about 1/4 turn. This is some process which has been used for years and years in the winemaking trade. The purpose is to slowly release sediment in the bottom of the bottle towards the neck of the bottle. It's part of the conditioning process of the wine.

We then stopped at a sportsbar/restaurant in Clermont called Benchwarmers for lunch. After that I followed the group back towards Deland on some really nice backroads. They were a very friendly group of people with which to ride.

It was a great ride and I now have a bottle of Lakeridge Southern White!!

No comments: