Friday, May 30, 2008

New co-piloting footwear

As I continue to take to the air in the mighty 46 Aeronca Champ with Champ Pilot Jim (CPJ), I am gradually being allowed to actually control, the plane a little bit in flight. This requires controlling the wing ailerons and the elevators in the tail area via the control stick. It also requires controlling the rudder of the plane with my feet.

The rudder controls from the back seat are not easy to manipulate if you have big feet and big shoes. So I could at least try to control the big shoes part (I take a size 12) by buying shoes which are as narrow as possible.

So.....off to Kohl's I go! I found a pretty nerdy pair of shoes which appear to be track (running) shoes but they are very narrow! Perfect for executing rudder control in the Champ!

I will report tomorrow as to how they work since I get to fly in the a.m.






If I ever get my pilot license and fly on my own, it would likely be in something like a Cessna 150 (below).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those will go beautifully with your silk scarf, goggles, and bomber jacket. I urge you Kid to try to find a tail-wheel airplane to learn in. That may be impossible even in Florida so you are very fortunate to have CPJ. Sounds like he'll show you how to handle an airplane with the wheels where they're supposed to be.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... I like anonymous's suggestion of the silk scarf, goggles and bomber jacket- we could then dub you " The Red Baron"!

Kid Guzzi said...

Ha! Anonymous #1 MUST be Omaha's own Super Cub Pilot Bob (SCPB)!!

'Tis my dream to learn to fly in a taildragger but I think the insurance factors will preclude such an endeavor...just too expensive. Learning in a Cessna 150 s/b a lot cheaper and then maybe some day I can "graduate" to a taildragger :=) Looking forward to seeing the completed Piper Super Cub Bob!

Anonymous said...

SCPB is right!

Anonymous said...

:=) I can't wait to see pic's of you with a silk scarf, goggles, and a bomber jacket... Now that would be funny :=) You soo need to do it :-)

Kid Guzzi said...

Wellllll, down here in Florida we have no need for leather jackets and such. I would pass out from heat stroke!

Anonymous said...

i really like them a lot