Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturdee fun

Well, my plans to take flight in the mighty Champ this morning did not come to fruition. CPJ and I headed to Bob White Airfield this morning and prepared to take the Champ out for some exercise one lat time before her annual maintenance inspection scheduled for Monday.

When the fuel valve was opened some fuel started leaking from a device called a Gascolator in the engine compartment. This is a sort of crude fuel filter/examination device which is installed at a low point in the fuel system, below the fuel tank. It traps any water and fuel contaminants that may accumulate so it can be drained.

Anyway, CPJ used a thumbscrew on the Gascolator to tighten up the sealing gasket and this greatly diminished the leaking fuel. However, a wee bit of fuel seepage persisted. We took this as a sign that we should not fly but rather wait until after the Champ undergoes her full annual inspection on Monday.

So I headed home and worked on the even mightier Moto Guzzi Breva for a while. She has 19,150 miles on the clock since I got her in mid December 2006. I have a few bits of maintenance to perform before I leave for California in less than 3 weeks. So, I set the valve clearances and checked/adjusted the Throttle position sensor (TPS) voltage. The Breva was close to spec on all counts with just some minor tweaking required. Have a look at these plugs (click to enlarge). PERHAPS showing signs of running a bit too lean, but the flash of the camera makes them appear slightly whiter than they actually are. I think they look dang good!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean "even mightier"?

Kid Guzzi said...

It's all a matter of horsepower CPJ!!

Anonymous said...

And what do you mean "crude" fuel filter/examination device?

Kid Guzzi said...

Well it did not appear to be a very sophisticated fuel filter. Does it have fuel filtering material within it which filters the fuel? If so, I stand corrected and it is something greater than crude.

Anonymous said...

The gascolator is a thing of beauty, in both form and function. Using the unmitigated power of gravity, the gascolator is supremely reliable as well as elegant.