Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Guzzi Rally Day One

We had a load of fun today at day one of the Guzzi rally. Started out by riding down to the rally site on a nice road with some great sweeping curves. We arrived at the rally site, Leo Carillo State Park, which is right across the Pacific Coast Highway from the Pacific Ocean.

When we arrived, about 10 a.m. there where probably 60-70 rally goers in attendance. As the day went on, however, more than 200 were on hand.

We milled around for a bit, meeting some folks and chatting, then decided to go find lunch. We found a nice place right on the ocean called Neptunes Palace...shrimp tacos...mmmm mmm good!

After that we decided to ride some of the great mountain roads in the area. I did not know what to expect, but these were unbelievable roads! Tight turn after tight turn, blind curves, switchbacks, altitude changes, unbelievable scenery! On the first road we tried, Decker Canyon road, after we rounded the corner on the first tight curves, we were greeted by a fire truck tending to folks (they were ok) who had flipped their SUV rounding the curve! There are loads of opportunities to have something bad happen on these roads if one is not very aware and careful.


We also visited the Moto Guzzi/Piaggio dealer in Thousand Oaks. Really nice operation.

We returned to the rally site for more conversation and looking at cool bikes followed by a dinner of shredded pork fajitas.....excellent stuff! I even got to meet renowned motorcycle writer Clement Salvadori! Got to shake his hand and talk to him even :=)






I took lots of pics and posted them HERE (click me!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Chris those motorcycles are cool!!! We would like to see more pictures of you in California.

Our favorite restaurant in CA is In-N-Out Burgers. http://www.in-n-out.com/default.asp

We would like to see a picture of you out front of an In-N-Out Burger if possible.

Ride On,
Kurt & Nick

Anonymous said...

How did that Ducati picture get in there?

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, thanks for the great updates! Loving keeping up with your trip. Living vicarously through you. Want more pictures of you. p.s. get your fine self back to work!!

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to the meemster, at least not that part about getting back to work.

Anonymous said...

SL: AWE! I agree. I want to see more pictures of you... Maybe with a great big "Double - Double" Burger and a great big Milk-Shake from In-N-Out Burgers. Those look yummy.

8=) sl

Kid Guzzi said...

Thanks everyone for the comments :) I would take more pics of myself but I can't afford all the camera lenses that keep cracking when I am in the photo.....tomorrow off to San Diego!

Anonymous said...

What?? Dom Delouise is a Guzzi owner? I see him there with the big GUZZI sweatshirt.