Friday, November 28, 2008

Harumph! What a day!

So, I left this morning in the now nicely running Alfa 164 for work. As I was rolling along the interstate I heard a loud BANG! I thought maybe I hit something r ran over something but as I glanced back I saw nothing in the road. I continued on for about another mile or so, maybe a bit less, and I started to feel a vibration from the right rear of the car. Uh oh, what happened....I slowed down and got off the interstate to the shoulder and sure enough...FLAT tire!

So I very slowly drove about 1/4 mile half on thr grass half on the shoulder until I reached a safe place off the interstate. Ahh, my first tire changing experience on the 164. In short order I had the blown out wheel and tire off and the tiny donut spare on.

At lunch I went to a tire store to have two new rear tires put on, as it was about time anyway. Fine and dandy...3 hours later :( my tires were on. I drove the short 5 minute drive home but when I arrived home one of the new tires was very low in pressure. Back to the tire store...only to find out that the rim had a tiny hole in it which was allowing air to leak.

So CRAP, now I need to see if the rim (aluminum) can be welded to seal it or I am looking at buying another dang wheel (not cheap!) Argh!

*****UPDATE***** I found a wheel shop in town with skilz in welding aluminum alloy wheels so I should have the wheel back today or Monday :) I also found a fella on the ALFA BB website willing to sell me a used rim for a modest price, so now I will be able to have a full-sized spare tire in the capacious 164L trunk, instead of the little red donut....



***** UPDATE***** Here's the welded rim...

3 comments:

Rob J. and the Family said...

Sorry to hear your bad luck! Missed you on the ride tonight - next time!

Anonymous said...

A perfect spot for a little JB Weld. Seriously! No heat affected zone. No chance of weld porosity.

Kid Guzzi said...

Hmmm, yes, I gave it some thought. Maybe I should have but I took it to an aluminum welding shop. Oh well.