Saturday, November 22, 2008

You think I'm old? Check out this city!

This weekend I visited America's oldest European settlement, St. Augustine, Florida. Saint Augustine is the oldest European city in the United States. The area was first visited by Ponce de Leon in 1513, but it was Juan Menendez de Aviles who established the first settlement, almost half a century before the first English settlers landed at Jamestown. St. Augustine grew to become the Spanish center of power in North America for almost 200 years.

My traveling companion was a visitor from the Great Plains. She was fun to have along and plus I needed someone to pay for fuel :=)....just kidding (about the fuel part)!! We embarked Friday a.m. in the classic Alfa Romeo Spider, meandering our way over to the coastal highway A1A. We headed north on the A1A all the way to St. Augustine, the mighty Atlantic Ocean within view most of the way.

Upon arriving, we found our hotel, the very nice and accommodating Bayfront Inn. This is a wonderful hotel right on Matanzas Bay, home to many boats and ships.

Here are some pics from the trip, as well as a link to my Kodak Photo Gallery album.... CLICK ME TO SEE THE PHOTO GALLERY!!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you living the life!

G

Kid Guzzi said...

Thanks brother! It's different down here vs. the midwest but I am getting used to it. Making some friends and visits from my friends/family in the midwest are a lot of fun. The weather sure beats the heck out of cold and snow.

Rob J. and the Family said...

Looks like you had a nice day out! Hope you can get out of work early Friday to join us for the east coast run! I haven't ridden the mighty Vulcan since the Alabama run - isn't that pathetic?