Some of my friends know that for a few years I have had an interest in becoming a small aircraft pilot someday. This interest was fueled by flights in my friend Champ Pilot Jim's Aeronca Champ and my friend Super Cub Pilot Bob's Piper Super Cub.
So I hope to begin making aeronautical topics part of the blog again. Today I received a rather informative and amusing missive from Captain Jim in Florida.
Enjoy....
Chump-o-saurus,
I had an interesting experience in the mighty Champ yesterday; you would have giggled like a school girl. Upon take off I turned downwind (to the west) and had to dial in about 30 degrees of crab to correct for the crosswind. Most impressive! Starting about 1 thousand feet the wind must have been a good 40 knots out of the south. Smooth as silk but clearly a strong wind. My ground speed was meager to say the least.
Being deft of mind, I decided to try something I have never had the chance to try before. I climbed swiftly to fifteen hundred feet, then, turning straight into the wind, I slowed her down to about 45 mph indicated and my ground speed was zero, hovering, not moving, nada! That was very cool. I did this over the Florida Turnpike near the toll station, cars backed up for miles as drivers stopped to witness this feat.
Upon arrival back at Bob White, I did the same maneuver right over the airport with the same outcome, zero ground speed. All the hangar rats came out to gawk and little children squealed with glee.
Captain Jim
2 comments:
Not trying to outdo you Cap'n Jim, but South Omaha Airport legend Crazy-Ed Base once took off in his J-3,flew to the far end of the runway, then backed up and landed where he took off.
Not to worry SCPBGAG. I know there have been many brave souls who have done what I did and more. This was exciting because it was the first time I got a chance to do it.
Note to self: Never attempt to outdo any person named "Crazy Ed".
Post a Comment