Saturday, May 16, 2009

Alfa Spider water pump update

I got started on removal of the faulty Alfa Spider water pump this a.m. In order to make room to get at it, I needed to remove the radiator, fan, fan shroud, drive belt and associated hoses and other bit pieces.

Got started draining the cooling system and then removing parts. Everything actually went pretty smoothly. A couple nuts and bolts were sorta tough to get at but nothing too bad.

I was most worried about removal of the water pump itself, as it is mounted to the motor on studs in the engine block and I had read stories of having to either double-nut and remove a couple of these studs or worse yet pull off the crankshaft pulley, not something I was looking forward to.

Lucky for me though as I got all 9 little nuts/bolts off the water pump I was able to wiggle it and apply very slight pry pressure it came right off! BINGO!

Now I await the new water pump which should arrive from my friends at International Auto on Monday. Who knows she may be back up and running smoothly sometime next week if reassembly goes well!

CLICK PICS TO ENLARGE





No comments: