These are just a few of the names which describe one of America's favorite culinary delights. A cylindrical mass of non-discernible bits of various meats, spices, fillers ans sweet Jesus knows what else.
After a lengthy discussion about wieners over the past two days with my co-worker Lew "Trixie" Butina, I decided I was long overdue to consume a delectable frankie.
So off the the grocery store I went, intent upon locating the object of my desire. Based on Lew's advice, I knew that no skinless wiener would suffice, but only one with all of its meaty goodness contained in a natural casing, that is, the intestine of an animal.
Oh some may scream foul, others may reel in horror at the thought, but the wise people, oh yes the wise ones, they know the beauty of a natural casing wiener. The natural casing works to contain all of the juicy goodness of the frank and provides for a nice "snap" when you bite into it, an explosion of flavor in one's mouth.
So I made my purchase, Nathan's natural casing "beef" franks. I put beef in quotes as I figure it is merely a suggestion by the good folks at Nathan's as to what truly lies within the walls of the casing.
My method of cooking? The grill, well seasoned from various previous meals. With a steady hand I placed the wiener(s) on the grill, the flames licking the casing. I shut the lid an walked away, as I learned to do from Bobby Flay. Don't disturb the meat, you see, or tears will form where once was glee.
I few moments later I returned and deftly rolled the wieners so as to ensure a well-rounded and thorough cooking. Again I left, only to return mere moments later for removal of the tube steaks from the grilling surface.
I plunged a fork into the frank, its natural casing at first resisting but eventually yielding to the laser sharpened tines of the fork.
Upon a plate they went and I let them rest for a moment whilst I prepared the wiener fixins. Tonight I would try the dogs in two different ways.
Firstly, a traditional addition of Plochman's yellow mustard and diced onions, placed along with Mr. frankie on a freshly baked bun.
Second, a "southern" style wiener, as my neighbor Jerry calls it, just the sweetly grilled frank on a bun and smothered with cole slaw.
Oh happy day! I thought I died and went to heaven. Both preparations of the wiener were outstanding. The natural casing yielded a wonderful "snap" as my choppers sank into it. The combination of mustard and diced onions made the meal complete, an orgy for the senses.
The "southern" furter of the frank was best described in one word....sublime. The crunch and moistness of the cole slaw slathering the wiener made every bite a sheer delight.
'twas a great meal. I snapped a few pics below for those who cannot read this enchanting tale.
Do yourself a favor. Chomp down on a wiener real soon. You won't be sorry friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment