The purpose of this crossover pipe is to take the exhaust from the two header pipes (one from each cylinder of the Guzzi 90 degree V-Twin motor) and provide for a balanced flow of that exhaust out of the single muffler.
Over the past several weeks I have tried a few different "cold weld" products off the shelves of local auto parts stores, like Thermosteel and JB Weld. These products were not able to withstand the heat and vibration emanating from the Guzzi motor and they eventually would crumble and fall off, leaving the exposed and worsening crack on the crossover pipe.
The time had come to do what I should have done in the first place and get the job done right. So over the weekend I endeavored to remove the two header pipes, muffler and some other bits including the starter motor so that I could finally get that crossover pipe off and have it welded.
I was very lucky to have my friend Keith Williams, a British motorbike racer and collector, agree to properly weld the pipe. So off to the welding supply store I went and as instructed by Keith I bought some 1/16 stainless steel welding rod. After work I stopped by Keith's place and he quickly got to work on welding the cracks up very nicely.
It did not take long and Keith was done and the weld looks great!
Thanks a lot Keith for getting my Breva back on the road!
Here are a few pics, including the pipe before welding showing the long cracks(s) and then after, etc.
3 comments:
Ah good British workmanship resolve the Italian engineering problem :-)
I will admit the factory weld on that pipe left something to be desired. Much better off with Keith's weld :)
'tis a good looking weld.
Post a Comment