Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday night toiling

The temperature had dropped to an unseasonably cool 80 degrees with a brisk 3 mph wind on this Friday night. But I knew I had to head out into this merciless meteorological mayhem and perform some needed maintenance on my 2006 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100.

I rummaged through my closet until I found my box of shawls, grabbed one and wrapped it tightly around my shoulders as I headed to the garage, gourmet pb&j sandwich in hand, determined to complete the task at hand no matter the ferocity of the cruel Florida weather.

Tooth and nail I fought the bike, 8mm open faced wrenches here, a wide assortment of allen wrenches there, pliers, screwdrivers of the flat bladed and phillip-head varieties at the ready.

Off came the Breva's tank, an assortment of hoses and wires disconnected, the airbox removed until the object of my desire lay before me, mocking me as it sat snugly next the the alternator, it's broad 22mm shoulders daring me to attack.

Attack I did, with the ferocity of someone wearing a shawl in 80 degree Florida heat. The battle waged on long and hard, but after 35 seconds I prevailed!

The old oil pressure sensor was removed and with nary a delay, I quickly spun the new one in, snugged it down and reattached its electrical lead.

Piece by piece, bit by painstaking bit, driven by the rhythmic sounds of Head East on my XM Satellite radio boom box, I reassembled the bike. 3 minutes later I was done. Shaken by the experience, I suckled upon an ice cold cup of water and my once quickened pulse became subdued.

The black of night had fallen on Florida and I had vanquished my foe. Time for a celebratory cup of warm milk before bedtime.



2 comments:

Stal said...

My awe and respect for you has jumped up to an unreachable height. The courage it took to take on such a task all the while braving the unforgiving Florida cold.... just brings tears to my eyes. Please keep being the inspiration you are to the Florida youth ...and for that matter... all the youth of the world!

Kid Guzzi said...

Thanks for the kind words Stal. A commemorative, signed shawl is on it's way to you.