Monday, November 2, 2009

The Wanderer

After 4 years in the Sunshine state, I begin the journey back to Nebraska, the Cornhusker state. Where corn grows and then is husked, providing a bountiful harvest for cows and humanoids alike. I'll take mine sweet, thank you very much.

Packing is going slowly. I think I have 7 boxes packed thus far. I stopped at Home Depot today to buy 17 more. 10 large and 7 medium. I am sure I will need more. In due time.

Today I got word from my future landlord that I was "approved". So I have found a house in southwest Omaha to call home. 1.4 miles from my new office. I am happy with it. 4 bedrooms. I will make 2 of them guest rooms. I hope friends will visit.

The other day my belt "broke". Well let's say it fell apart. The same belt I have worn for years and years and years. Kind of starting to disintegrate. But I am a simple guy. Sometimes kinda cheap too. So a little scotch tape holds it together a while longer.

I stopped after work to have an ale with my pal Captain Jim. Captain of the 1946 Aeronca Champion aeroplane. A neat plane. A good drinking buddy. Those are hard to find. Captain Jim will be missed. No pressure to converse. Idle chatter about cars and bikes and planes. Mechanical things. Things about life. Sometimes things about girls. Ale too. We both appreciate good ale. Adios Cap'n.

I received an offer today on my 1991 Alfa Romeo 164L sedan. Soon I think she will be gone. I will miss the car. But I know the fella who will purchase her. The 164 will have a good life. I talk about cars like they are living creatures. Well to me they are part of my life, part of my existence. From when I was a wee lad and I worked on them in the driveway in Papillion, Nebraska with my dad. Cars are special to me because the thought of them brings back memories. Good memories.

I owe a big debt of gratitude to my friends Mike "Stallion" Caniglia and Mark "The Shark" Tolan. Both of these guys are great friends. Great friends don't grow on trees. And though I can be a real shmuck sometimes, these guys have always stood by me, ready and willing to lend a hand. Thanks fellas.







3 comments:

Unknown said...

On one of your many future trips back to Florida, perhaps with Omaha Phil, we will discuss the beauty of the spoked wheel, and even the magnificence of the fabric covered wing. Oh, these things of beauty, beyond the comprehension of most mere mortals.

Anonymous said...

Enough already with the scotch tape!!! I know the first thing I will buy you as you set foot on Midwestern soil ( and it will not be a roll of scotch tape!!! )ecg

Stal said...

Thank you for the compliment, Chris. I couldn't ask for a better friend myself.

Stal