Monday, September 6, 2010

Bound for the Southeast

Well I am getting pretty excited about taking the Moto Guzzi Stelvio on it's first "real" journey in October. I guess you could say it had a nice journey when I bought it in Steubenville, Ohio September of last year and rode it back home to Deland, FL...that was around 1,000 miles I guess over two days, but this upcoming trip will be much more than that.

I figure I will travel somewhere around 4000 miles on this trip, heading down to Memphis then onto Leeds, Alabama where I plan to visit the Barber Motorsports Museum. From there I will continue on to Florida.

I'll then spend a few days in Florida, working and seeing friends over an ale or two, before I head north to Georgia with my friend Andrew (and maybe Bob) to meet up with Rob and a couple other folks.

Using Rob's house in the Atlanta, GA area as our base, we plan to ride the Georgia Mountains, the famous Dragon in North Carolina, the Cherohala Skyway and whatever other great roads Rob has in the plans. We also plan to stay at a neat motel that caters to motorcycles called the Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville, NC.

From there I will finally return home.

I really want to try to stay away from interstate highway travel as much as I can on this trip and take state highways and more obscure roads where possible. It makes for such a more interesting trip that way.

So anyway here are a few maps which kinda show the possible routes I will ride. I borrowed a couple of these from Andrew's website...I hope he doesn't mind.





No comments: