Monday, January 24, 2011

Guzzi V11 Lemans rear drive....digging deeper

I headed over to Guzzi guru Bob's house Sunday, rear drive assembly in hand. Bob was kind enough to help me with disassembling the unit.

Well I guess I should say I was there to just lend a couple helping hands, as Bob did most of the work and came up with ways to remove the bad bearing and seal through sheer ingenuity.

Once we got into the guts of the rear drive, which required a bit of heat via a torch to help soften some assembly adhesive/sealant, we quickly found that there was evidence of a substantial amount of water infiltration inside the unit.

The outside bearing and inner race were completely shot, rusted, corroded. Moisture had also left behind a trail of corrosion inside parts of the unit.

Without having a small enough bearing puller Bob concocted a method of using a couple hex head bolts to remove the bearing. Only from the mind of Bob :) Worked like a charm!

After removing some other corroded internal bits Bob cleaned them up in his parts blaster and they look like new now.

Now I have a few parts to order....the bearing, it's inner race, a seal and an o-ring. Here are some pics.

Click the pics to ENLARGE