Saturday, January 22, 2011

Guzzi V11 Lemans rear drive removal

This evening I spent a couple hours in the COLD garage working on my V11 Lemans. You can read part 1 of this story HERE.

So anyway with the bike up on the lift I started the dis-assembly process, removing the rear axle, rear brake caliper and then the rear wheel/tire.

With this done the rear drive assembly was fully visible and accessible. To remove the unit required removing some very stubborn bolts. One connected the rear drive assembly to a torque arm, a metal bar which ties back into the frame, reducing the "shaft-jacking" effect which used to be common on shaft-drive bikes. The other two stubborn bolts connect the rear drive assembly to the shaft drive via a u-joint.

With a fair amount of torque and some PB Blaster penetrating spray I was amazingly able to get those bolts out! Generally these things don't go my way but it all really went relatively smoothly. Cursing was minimal :)

So next comes the task of disassembling the guts of the rear drive itself, which requires removal of the crownwheel carrier plate (#23 in diagram below) and then working down to the parts that likely failed, the seal (#10) and the bearing and inner race (#'s 30 and 31).

I am hoping my friend Bob can help me with this, as he has a lot more talent, experience, patience and tools than I have :-)

CLICK THE PICS TO ENLARGE







2 comments:

Stal said...

If anyone can do it, you and Bob can!

CPJ said...

With PB Blaster, anything is possible!