Thursday, August 27, 2009

Alfa 164L Buzz Patrol

Lately I have been hearing an annoying buzzing sound from near my glove box in the 1991 Alfa Romeo 164L whenever I turn the headlights on.

Well here is what I found. The controller unit making the buzzing/vibrating noise is shown below. This is located under the glove box on the passenger side of the car. It was attached to a bracket held in place by two philips head screws.

I removed it and it appears to me something was/is causing the circuit board to vibrate inside the case and since it fits somewhat loosely in the tracks the noise was coming from the circuit board vibrating against the plastic case, at least as far as I can tell.

So I fashioned a couple little spacers from bubble wrap wrapped in electrical tape and fit those between the circuit board and the top of the case to snug the board in the case.

I reassembled the controller and refit into the car. Tested the lights again and no more vibrating sound. I will test it more thoroughly but hopefully this fixes it.

What puzzles me still is what is it on the circuit board causing it to vibrate so much. Maybe some component on the board about to go kaput?

Here is a link to pics:

PICS ARE HERE...CLICK ME!

2 comments:

Stal said...

Chris, the only components I can see that might cause a vibration are the 2 NEC relays. If the internal contacts become pitted it could cause some sparking and possible bouncing. The rest of the components won't move.

Kid Guzzi said...

Thanks for the feedback Stal. I just won an ebay auction for a used replacement part so will give that one a try when it arrives and see what happens.