
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about words and phrases I'd like to introduce or re-introduce to the American lexicon.
I have a few words today which I believe are worthy of such an honor.
Firstly, turkey. As in "get away from me, you turkey!" It's a lot less hateful and vulgar than some other words, but believe you me it gets the gd point across to any ne'er do well loser who crosses your path. If the offender is a particularly repulsive and nefarious character, let's say you encounter a crude foreigner, you can add an adjective, for instance, "Meet my American-made fist, you jive turkey!!".
My next word comes from, of all people, a gd foreigner Canadian I work with. Nice enough fella....a little naive to the way we do things here in the good ole US of A, but he has a good heart. Anyway, here in the USA we have various terms for underwear....undershorts, undies, undertrunks, skivvies, boxers, jockeys, etc. Well, up in the hinterland of Canada, they call them gitch. For example, "Dangit, I forgot to wear my gitch today!!" I kinda like the word gitch, so I will promote a full-scale effort to get this word out there in our mighty country.
My final word today is swill. Another word for cheap beer or somesuch beverage. Personally, I am not a fan of such crap liquids, but I can see the attraction for some on a meager budget. "Hey Petey boy, let's go have a couple pints of swill and discuss the meaning of life"...that might be a normal usage of the word.
Sometimes I will go with my fellow Fiservians for a pint of fine ale, but there's always some clown who must consume swill, like Michelob Ultra or some mass-produced "light beer". In all truth this makes me feel the desire to ball up my fist and begin wreaking havoc, but I generally refrain from such behavior.
Above is a pic of a real fine taste of barley, hops, yeast and water from across the pond, poured for my friend Carl by our barmaid Cooper....
4 comments:
Jive turkey is too urban 70's, it deserves honorable mention but should not be revived. Enraged motorist has spoken.
When meeting the afore mentioned foreigner Enraged Motorist would say "Meet my American Made Fist (_*_)"
Now swill is another story. It is a true multi purpose word.
You can use swill to describe pathetic, low cost, mass produced excuses for beer (although there is something to be said for quantity vs. quality, but Enraged Motorist will pontificate on that topic another day).
You can use swill to describe the alleged commentary of a Enraged Motorist wannabe seen elsewhere in this blog. This party shall suffer the wrath of Enraged Motorist.
You can use swill to describe the quality of the products your pathetic employer sells, namely DT POS.
Gitch? Just call it burlap and be done with it.
Good photo of the bar maid serving lushy brew
WOW!
This is alot of Jive Talkin Turkey Gitch-in Burlapping "lushy?" bunch of comments I have ever read.... WOW!
mmm thought u were all impressed with this under used word... least it shows up in your "New word n'at (pittsburgh version)"
skull·dug·ger·y or skul·dug·ger·y
n. pl. skull·dug·ger·ies
Crafty deception or trickery or an instance of it.
Post a Comment