Wednesday, August 6, 2008

More garage time with the Spider

Tonight I spent a few hours working on a couple other bits on the Spider. Job 1 was trying to determine where water was leaking into the driver side footwell during rain or while washing the car.

I finally found the source of the problem...the drain tube in the cowl vent, which runs through the firewall right above the brake pedal, had a large crack in it. Water is supposed to drain out of the cowl vent directly to the ground under the car through this tube, but instead was dumping right into the driver side footwell onto the carpet, leaving the puddle.

Since I did not have a replacement tube, I resorted to silicone sealant on the crack. After it set up I tested it with a Big Gulp cup of water.....and it went right past the footwell to the ground...YEAH!!

I also worked on trying to clean up the area surrounding the gearshift, which is a real eyesore. I think it looks a little better now, but still needs a long term solution. Additionally I cleaned the carpets, whcih had a lot of sand and such in them. It all looks a good deal better now :)

BEFORE:







AFTER:



No comments: