Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tropical Storm Faye arrives with a vengeance

Tropical storm Fate finally arrived in the Deland/Lake Mary area today. I watched from the dry and comfortable confines of my cubicle as the torrential rain flew by rapidly SIDEWAYS!!

The Alfa Spider took a gd beating, with standing water collecting in her footwells. It was nearly enough to make me weep openly.

As I left work for the day, I entered the Alfa and sopped up what I could with the requisite towels I now carry in the Spider and moved in a spirited fashion out of the Fiserv parking lot,

Unfortunately, I did not see well enough through the foggy windshield the POND which had formed in an adjacent parking lot. The Alfa tried to trudge though the water but stalled midway. I tried to restart her but it was not to be.

So I stepped out and water was midway betwixt my ankle and knee.....I put the Spider in neutral and pushed her out of the "pond" and onto higher ground.

By the grace of the sweet heavenly Lord above and Nicola Romeo himself, after a while she fired back up and I made my way to the local watering hole for a celebration of more lucky souls leaving Fiserv.

I sat on my chair at the bar and watched the rain and wind ravage the outside world. What seemed like hours later (and actually was) I departed for home, the Alfa beckoning me. I inserted the key and by the power of Greyskull turned that same key, hoping beyond hope that the mighty Graduate would carry me home.

Sweet heavenly Christ she did fire and I drove her home. She purred like a kitten, greeting tropical storm Faye at the front door and saying "step back sister, it's Spider time!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Red laughed out loud at the sideways rain. She mocked lesser vehicles enroute to said watering hole by immersing them in aquatic wonderment. By the Power or Greyskull, she observed the mighty Alfa start after a stout soaking, knowing full well that the Alfa was a worthy mount.

Anonymous said...

You need a 4 wd vehicle like us hillbillies here in Nebraska. You'll go right through that water.

Kid Guzzi said...

I sha'n't be captive to such a vehicle as an SUV. I will enjoy the feel of wind through my hair and the occasional non-joy of being soaked to the bone :)

Anonymous said...

Indeed!

Anonymous said...

SL: Fay! Fay! GO AWAY!....