Monday, August 11, 2008

Busy weekend working on the Spider

I spent a decent part of this past weekend working on the Alfa Romeo Spider. Again, no pressing issues, just checking things over and fixing/adjusting bits here and there.

I checked all 4 spark plugs and they indicate the motor is "combusting" in fine fashion...all were nice and clean with light tan deposits on the ceramic insulators. I adjusted the gaps to spec (.025") as all were out of spec, in the .030 - .035" range.

I took the driver side door panel off to gain access to the window. The window was slightly off track and did not seal well when rolled all the way up. I adjusted the tracked and lubricated some parts and all is well again.

The black rear bumper was well faded, with the gray primer paint showing through. So, I prepped the surface, masked it off and sprayed it with some flat black paint. It looks better now :=)

I have a few parts arriving this week which I will install soon:

Used, but good condition, seat base to replace the torn one on passenger side
Radiator Bypass Hose
Radiator Top Hose
Radiator Lower Hose
Rear Heater Hose
Dashcap (to cover cracked dash)
Fake wood(mahogany) vinyl product for use in dressing up various plastic bits in car interior
Sender for the Oil Pressure Gauge

I also want to change the oil/filter as well as flush/replace the engine coolant soon. Right now I am searching for an oil filter cap wrench which will fit this monster filter. it is 107mm in diameter! I found one that is normally used for Volvo trucks but still trying to source it for ordering.

The car has been running fine. This morning I was surprised and initially disturbed by a warbling buzzing noise when I turned the ignition key on. At first I thought "uh-oh" but then realized that the seat belt buzzer had started working again! See, she's starting to fix herself now. All she needed was a little TLC :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the work on the Alpha. When it is completely redone, let me know and I'll fly Lauren down so she can drive it home...:)

DRG

Anonymous said...

Ohh No! I get first dibbs.. I've already placed that comment back in July :=)